The Anchorage Running Club will award four $2,500 scholarships in 2018. Anchorage high school graduating seniors who are runners are eligible to apply. This includes seniors from private and charter schools within the Municipality of Anchorage. Minimum qualifications include two year participation with running activities during high school, either in track and field, or cross country running. In addition to the student's involvement with running, the scholarship committee pays attention to the student's degree of community involvement, commitment to a healthy lifestyle, and academic potential. We are not necessarily looking for the best or fastest runners; what we look for is evidence of the student's enthusiasm for running. We also consider financial need to some degree. Anchorage high school seniors who are interested should download the ARC 2018 Scholarship application and send it to the running club by April 27, 2018.
- Complete applications, including letters, pages from portfolio, and essays must be received at the Running Club's Post Office Box (Anchorage Running Club, Attn: Scholarship Committee, PO Box 243362, Anchorage, AK 99524-3362), or scanned and emailed to email@example.com no later than 4:00 PM on April 27, 2018. ARC will inform applicants by email when complete application has been received.
- If application is emailed as an attachment, all pages must be scanned into one PDF document, labeled with the applicants name.
- All information will be corroborated with school counselor.
- Award recipients will be invited to participate in the Running Club’s Runfest Awards Ceremony that will be held on the third Sunday in August.
- The total number of pages including the application must be no more than 10.
Minimum Criteria for Scholarship
- At least two years documented involvement with running during high school.
- The high school must be within the Municipality of Anchorage. Applications from students attending private or charter schools will be accepted.
- The student must be a graduating senior.
- The student must plan to attend a College or University located in the United States.
- The student must be enrolled at a college or university and attending classes not later than March 31, 2019.
- The scholarship must be used not later than December 31, 2019.
- Completed application, essay, and letters of recommendation (Note: essays become the property of ARC and may be used for club and/or newspaper publications).
Considerations During the Selection Process
- Enthusiasm for and involvement with running
- Community involvement and service
- Academic ability
- Financial need
- Healthy lifestyle
- Ability to surmount obstacles in order to achieve goals
Notification of Selection
Students selected to receive scholarships will be notified on or before May 1, 2018. A brief article describing each scholarship recipient will be posted on the ARC website.